Lake Como is unique in terms of its shape (inverted ‘Y’) and the fact that is has a single island (Isola Comacina), which is a magnet for celebrity visitors. It has been loved as a holiday destination by many travellers and a location for writers and filmmakers thanks to the beauty of its landscapes, its charming villas that overlook the lake and its typical historic villages.
The mild climate, especially in the central part of the lake, ensures tourists visit all year round, many coming from all over the world. It’s close proximity to the ski resorts at Madesimo and St Moritz ensures winter enthusiasts are also frequent visitors.
So what else makes a Lake Como property purchase the perfect location? The following provides an insight:
- wonderful landscapes, with typical ancient villages with a welcoming homely atmosphere from very friendly locals
impressive surrounding mountains and fantastic panoramas
- Numerous sports: either on the lake (such as sailing, canoeing, fishing, swimming, wind/kite surfing, nautical skiing) or in the mountains ( hiking, climbing, parascending, mountain biking)
- local cuisine, incorporating many traditions and cultures and including fresh local produce such as mountain cheeses and lake fish, many of which can be found in restaurants and agriturismos
- historical villas and gardens as Villa Balbianello built by Durini Cardinal at the end of 700, the Plinio Il Giovane Villas built in the first century AD, Villa Carlotta with its unique flowers and trees, as the azaleas bloom, the Rockfeller & Adenauer Foundation to name a few
- numerous festivals, parties and folklore: the famous Isola Comacina with fireworks representing the fight against the Barbarossa, the «Lucia’s Palio» (a typical lake old boat competition), the “Missultin Festival” (“missultin” is a typical dry lake fish), the various grape and «crotti» festivals, the Schignano Carnival and many other folklore events through the year which typifies the lake atmosphere
- cultural events like concerts with aperitif at Villa Balbianello (Lenno), the music season at Villa Carlotta (Tremezzo), the Lario Jazz Festival that tours around lake resorts, the open air cinema, the FAI (Fondo Italiano per l’Ambiente) days, the exhibitions at Villa Olmo and Villa Erba (Como) and the prestigious International economics meeting at Villa d’Este (Cernobbio)
- excellent hotels, lidos, restaurants, camp sites, golf clubs and tennis courts
- proximity to other important tourist destinations including the Valtellina region famed for its vineyards and cuisine and an ideal location for winter sports at Madesimo, Bormio, St. Moritz as well as Lugano and Campione d’Italia with their Casinos for those who like to gamble Furthermore movie makers are attracted to the area as the beauty of Lake Como provides a magical and romantic backdrop for numerous Italian soap operas, as well as the big screen films such Casino Royale, Star Wars Episode II, Ocean’s Twelve, along with a variety of music videos including amongst others Gwen Stefani. Some of the stars fall are captivated with the area so much that they purchase a piece of this paradise — George Clooney being one such celebrity who has fallen in love with the area
Living by the Lake
The mild climate, the quality of life, the peaceful and tranquil location make Lake Como a perfect destination to escape the stresses of city living. There is always plenty activities going on throughout the year including winter festivals (Castagne, Befana) and carnivals to summer festivals that usually end with firework displays. Each village has its own particular take on the festivals and celebrations that are dominant features of Lake Como living. So, purchasing a Lake Como property will enable you to sample life by the lake
Working by the Lake
The location of Lake Como means that both Milan and Lugano (Switzerland) are within commutable distance for work as well as providing a gateway to many European cities from the 4 airports all within 90 minutes drive. Accessibility is a key feature of Lake Como’s attraction, many residents speak English and which makes working at the lake a real possibility. Some residents commute to Lugano for work which also opens up possibilities for anyone who considers relocating to the lake and considers working in the area.
If your intention is to work by the Lake or relocate and live by the Lake then you will need to consider the type of Visa that you will require and/or application for Residency.
Any resident of an EU member country is permitted to stay in Italy for a period of 3 consecutive months without needing to apply for a visa, for longer stays a visa is required. There are different types of visas and the application process can be arduous and take some time so we can help with applications for visas, just ask!
It is frequently said that the three most important rules when purchasing a property is 'Location, Location, Location' with this in mind you can't go wrong when purchasing one of our Lake Como properties. All our properties are selected for their loc…